Friday 22 May 2009

HOT: Dench Bakers, 109 Scotchmer St, Fitzroy North

Midday at Dench Bakers, and their fruit loaf was already sold out! Undeterred, I decided to taste-test one of the fruit buns instead and it was the kind of sticky-glazed bun pressed with buttons of fruit that I’d imagine featuring in an Enid Blyton book. Personally I thought it was nice but not particularly memorable.

Too much bread doesn’t usually make my tummy very happy, and as I’d also read that their spelt bread ($6.70) was worth a try, I took home a loaf to have later. It was a little bit too sour for my taste, and no tilsit cheese, pea and ham soup or praline spread could hide it.

1 comment:

  1. are you serious? great bread! great bread! and more great bread! probably one of my most favorite bakers! and then you should try all the great things they do with their great bread! this place is HOT

    ReplyDelete