Thursday 28 May 2009

HOT: Baker D Chirico, 149 Fitzroy St, St Kilda

Daniel Chirico's small brightly-lit bakery/cafe has been producing quality sourdough for Melbournians for many years, but today was my first visit. The apron-clad staff looked happy, healthy and like they were in love with bread. After a bit of discussion, I decided on the $6 raisin loaf (light, white, organic sourdough packed with juicy fruit) rather than the fruit loaf (a denser sourdough with raisins as well as figs, dates and apricots). I personally preferred it to the loaf produced at the Natural Tucker Bakery, whereas RM came to the opposite conclusion. Potatoes, potartoes.

2 comments:

  1. Hello I like your blog. Keep up the good work. I live near d. Chirico and the only problem I have with them is that they handle the bread with their hands. No gloves. Yuck. Take the money, put it in the till, pick up bread. Over and over.

    If I didn't like the bread so much, I'd boycott.

    Melba.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Gosh, I didn't even notice that... Luckily the fruit bread didn't taste of coinage!

    ReplyDelete