Tuesday 21 April 2009

HOT: Mr Tulk, State Library, 328 Swanston Street, Melbourne 3000

The State Library's resident cafe, Mr Tulk, is not just a mere sideline to the books - I've often eaten at the cafe without stepping foot into the library, my only reading material a copy of The Age's weekly Epicure section.

The light-filled space is decorated with the jewel colours and scarpering curlews of Spike Hibberd's mural, the lines of which echo the wrought iron grilles covering the high arch windows. My choice of seating is always the large communal table, where I can linger over their delicious muesli with poached fruit and yoghurt ($10.50), with plenty of space to spread out your choice of broadsheet or tabloid.

2 comments:

  1. That mural is so amazing. I'm a RMIT student and we eat/hang out there all the time!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think one reason I loved the mural is because it reminded me a lot of the work of one of my favourite artists in London. She sells her work at Portobello and Spitalfields Markets, and we're commissioning her to do our wedding invitations!

    http://www.delicatemayhem.com/

    ReplyDelete