Friday 19 June 2009

HOT: Sonsa, 152 Smith St, Collingwood

When Tranzie moved to Islington, they were so excited to discover their local Turkish grocery store that they insisted I should be introduced to Mr and Mrs Yassar when I landed in London.

Now that they're in Collingwood, they must be really excited about Sonsa - Yassar's on a larger scale. The family business lives in the shadow of the behemoth Woolworths on Smith St, so I always try to buy my produce there to support a small business. Currently the bargains in their pavement display are ginger ($7.95 a kilo) and navel oranges ($2.99 for 3 kilos). In the plain flourescent-lit interior you'll also find nuts, pulses, grains, spices and dips. I can vouch for their Turkish bread, delicious with homemade hommus and Tranzie tell me that their carrot dip is also fantastic.

No comments:

Post a Comment