Thursday 9 July 2009

HOT: Sushi Burger, J Cafe Restaurant, 167 Exhibition St, Melbourne

The Japanese are reknowned for their quirky mash-ups of Eastern and Western culture, from costume-play to J-pop.

So it's no surprise that someone thought "Hey, I like burgers, I like sushi - I know! A sushi burger!" This bizarre sounding ensemble consists of two sushi rice patties, special sauce, lettuce, no cheese or pickled onion, your choice of filling, all wrapped in a sheet of nori seaweed. Unlike a Big Mac, it's made fresh to order at J Cafe Restaurant, a regular haunt of Asian international students and curious foodies like me.
Is it better than a real burger? My spicy raw salmon sushi ensemble ($6.50 takeaway) wasn't as pretty as the eye-catching flourescent plastic display, but it was fresh and tasty and didn't leave me burping burger breath the rest of the night.

1 comment: