Thursday 2 July 2009

HOT: Commercial Bakery, Rear 360 Lt Collins St, Melbourne

Commercial Bakery is the kind of hidden Tardis-like cafe on which Melbourne thrives. At first I thought it was a tiny establishment selling only what was displayed in its window shelves, but step inside and you see that a large warmly-lit split-level area stretches into the back beyond.

Its frontage caught my eye because of the exiting lunchtime throng trading in their sandwiches and coffee. Even though I'd just had lunch, my 1.5 hour yoga session obviously created a ravaging hunger which meant I could fit in a second lunch immediately afterwards. Straight to a large square of spanatopika ($6.50)! It consisted of thin bready pastry, almost like a pizza base and not traditional filo, stuffed with a thin smear of spinach and cheese. Best of all, not oily and saggy.

1 comment:

  1. This is the great place where I had a lunch last Christmas but those name I couldn't remember to save myself. Thanks Just Joyce!

    Landlord Le

    ReplyDelete