Monday 13 July 2009

HOT: Anada, 197 Gertrude St, Fitzroy

If you have a Monday birthday there aren't too many options for a birthday meal, so I was delighted when Tranzie suggested that they treat me to dinner at the Spanish restaurant Anada, one of those funky Gertrude St places that I just never got around to trying before.

The chef has previously worked at Moro in London and Movida so with that pedigree we quickly decided on the 9 course banquet ($48). Unfortunately my camera couldn't handle the dim lighting so I can't show you the procession of delicious dishes, from little glasses of celeriac soup with black salt, sardines wrapped in vine leaves and pork cheeks with crispy crackling and rice pilaf. I highly recommend the banquet for its breadth of flavour and textures, and you come away extremely full (so I don't recommend splashing out on the 12 course banquet). In fact, I suspect the proper adult-sized portions makes Anada the 'Anti-Gigibaba'.

No comments:

Post a Comment